Sunday, April 28, 2013

Run Wild

This morning was my first 5k in YEARS.  I thin kit might have been 9 years ago that I ran one.  I have run one 8k in there, maybe 6 years ago.  I ran the Philly Run Wild 5k.  It was a neat race.  It is at the zoo.  We ran one lap inside the zoo, one outside, and then one more inside.  Here I am pre-race, ready to run. 

The first lap some of the animals were starting to come out.  It was neat to have goats, peacocks, eagles and other such animals cheering us on.  They were very vocal.  I was at 9:55 for my first mile.  I was still right on target for finishing in under 30, my goal.

I forgot to look at my watch at mile two.  It wasn't too eventful.  It was actually harder to run the loop outside the path was more narrow, so it required more jockeying.  There were over 1100 participants.  It was their largest turn out yet.  The funds raised are going toward helping native orangutangs.  The dense forest where they live is being cut down for palm oil.  They think they raised enough money today to buy 300 more acres of land as a preserve.

One our last loop into the park more of the animals were out.  Plus the loop inside was a little different so we got to run past the most beautiful pair of hyacinth macaws.  We also passed the Lorikeets.  There was a sign with an arrow pointing to wear we could feed them (not during the run, but a standard zoo sign)  I thought this was a little odd.  They are mainly nectar birds.  Are we feeding them apple juice?  Anyway, we ran past the cheetahs and two were sitting up in the corner looking at us pass and the third was skipping across the top of their little hill.  It looked like it wanted to join in the fun.

According to my stopwatch I finished in 31:25.  I was hoping for under 30, but just didn't make it.  I'm ok with that.  I ran the whole thing without walking and I think it is still competitive with my dad's PR to realize that I can't be crossed off the competitor list just yet.

Like the banana?  So did the monkeys I was looking at while eating it.  They did have apple slices, which they were eating, so I wasn't to rude by not offering to share.

The wife needs the computer now.  So I will write more later.

1 comment: