Friday, April 26, 2013

Aero bars and I friends... maybe....

I knew going into this week it was going to be demanding.  I had a paper due today.  I got most of it done Tues evening and Wed night at work which really helped. 

Wednesday
     I had a big test.  I got up around 4:30 so study some more, eat a good breakfast, and get ready for the day.  I was in class then until 3:30ish and then had my 3 miler.  I cooked dinner and went to work.

Thursday
   Yesterday was exciting.  I have a cousin that has been very active in triathlons for the twenty or so years.  He was a competitive Iron-man athlete with corp sponsors.  He also coached and was a marathon organizer.  Well, he stopped by for a visit yesterday.  We realized that we hadn't seen each other in something like 15 years.  Since then he has gotten married, had three kids, and gotten divorced.  I've graduated high school, college, had a few careers and got married.  We had a lot of catching up to do.  We talked a lot about tris.  We drove the course that we will be doing in August.  He's younger brother might join us on the course too as might one of his daughters.  It will be nice to have so much family around.
      He gave me a lot of pointers and I asked a lot of questions.  We talked mostly about cycling.  I have a running background and its too cold for swimming.  I did confess that I swim in my kitchen.  He made a really good point that the cycling portion is that part where you can make or lose the most amount of time.  It is the longest of the three events.  He also wanted to look at me on my bike.  He held the back and the Wife held the front.  We talked about positioning.  He was amazed at how well the bike fit.  My plumb line was good.  Depending on the shoes I might want to lower the bike seat down a quarter of an inch.  He also showed me where to adjust the cages on my pedals so I can get more of my foot on the pedal.  No clipless pedals needed at this time.  If after August I want to keep going then I'll look into it.  We had so much to talk about and had such a good time.  I only got an hour and a half of sleep.  That made for a long night at work last night.
Friday
     It was a long but fairly uneventful night at work.  They had a monitor up all week honoring the different secretaries at work.  Well in the middle of the night they changed it to say Happy Birthday.  I then had a patient pass out ON me while they were washing their hands after going to the bathroom.  It was scary, but everything worked out fine.  I came home and climbed into bed.  I SLEPT!!!  I struggle to say awake long enough to set the alarm clock.  I know who sets an alarm clock on their birthday, but I want to sleep tonight.  When I finally got out of bed at 1:40 I was debating what to do.  I had schedule myself a 4 mile bike ride but then I was thinking that I might need another 3miles before Sunday.  I was debating running it today and biking tomorrow.  I was feeling tired.  I then started arguing with myself.  Is it my head getting in the way or is it my brain making excuses.  Once I came to that thought.  I was like wow, ok.  No it is your body you have not had a full nights sleep since Tuesday, your ass is tired.  So I went for a 2.6 ride.  I was not going for distance so I worked on the mechanics of it.  I STAYED IN THE AERO BARS THE WHOLE TIME!!!!!  I was very swervy at the beginning but then it felt pretty good.  I worked on pedaling more in lower gears and worked on 'scrapping the dirt of my shoes' instead of pushing down.  For much of the 12:20 seconds I was saying scrap, scarp scrap.  When I was going up hill I worked on pullup a little on the handle bars instead of leaning down. 
    Ok, way enough rambling.  I need to get cleaned up a bit and then eat a yummy dinner for my birthday!  Wifey gave me beautiful flowers.  This post is long enough  you will have to wait for pictures.   Have a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment