Monday, March 4, 2013

Getting to know me

I'm 32 years old.   I've had several careers.  I worked in professional theater and I taught school.  Now I'm in nursing school.  I get very antsy in jobs, so I'm hoping that nursing provides a diverse enough field that I won't have to go back to school every time I get restless.

I never played sports growing up.  I danced and spent time in the theater.  After college is when I found my athletic side.  I randomly joined a rugby team and LOVED it.  I played for two years until I broke my hand.  During that time I started running on my own to get in shape for the team.   I then become a soccer coach for a few years and would exercise with the girls.

A friend and I started trail running together as a way of having accountability.  We would invite people to join us.  There were about 15 of us in the group.  The group met everyday.  At the end of the run we would decide where we would run the next day and who ever showed up ran.  I only ran M-F.  I was still doing 25-30 miles a week.  We would vary long and short runs.  We would all start at the same time and wait for everyone to get out of the woods when we were done.  Everyone set their own pace and often pair-up ish for the run.  We would usually have 3 to 8 people show up for any given run.  It was a lot of fun and a great way to meet new people.

Well, that is my not so athletic history.  I was diagnosed with Lupus last year, which means I must exercise when I can.  I also need to eat a high protein, high veggie, low carb diet.  This sounds like a perfect recipe for a tri!

No comments:

Post a Comment