Yesterday, after a fairly inactive week, I hoped on the bike and rode six miles. It felt really good to be out there. It was the same route I did last week that I wasn't sure the mileage, while I took my new happy birthday garmin with me. It is six miles. Please don't think I'm pretentious for writing out six. I often type this blog on my iPad and it is just easier to type out the word than switch to the number keyboard. Anywho, it took me longer yesterday. 29:05 that includes a very short jog after the bike. Every time I bike I go for a little run, like around the front yard to teach my legs that they can/will run after biking.
Today I ran a mile in 9:18. I was thinking I would do two but I had had such a bad run last week that I wanted to have a good experience. I ran the whole thing, sprinted at the end. It felt short but I'm ok with that. I might go out again later today, but probable not since tonight is family dinner.
I have found that if I have nothing planned for a day, it is really hard to motivate to run. Yesterday I had to go to the hospital for my last day of clinicals, I'm certainly glad to not have to wear my whites for a few months, then I got to hear a speaker, it was easy to hope on the bike. I was still dressed up from hearing the speaker when The Whip got home, so we decided to go out to eat. It was a very nice dinner. We sat out on the deck and the food was to die for. We came home, changed my clothes and was off. On a side note. I put on my spandex base layer and was donning my tech jacket when The Wife gave me big kisses and told me I was getting skinny. She know how to make a girl feel good. I rode my six and came home finished sweating, I always seem to sweat more when I finish exercising then when I'm out doing it. I then took a nice long bath in Epsom salts. I thought my hammies could use it. Due to my possible lack of motivation today, today's schedule run and study, I slept in my running clothes last night. I do this often to help encourage myself to get out there. It is one less excuse I get to use. At school I also like to park in front of the gym even though it is a longer walk because then maybe I'll walk in and use it. I think they school may have caught on because they are now building a building in that closer lot and everyone must park by the gym. I wonder if it is helping to bring up the gym user numbers.
Guest Speaker: Yesterday I had the opportunity to listen to Sorrel King speak. She has become an author, public speaker, and patient safety advocate even since her 18 month old died to medical errors. She was a guest speaker in honor of nurses week at the hospital. It is a sad story, but what she has done with her sadness and anger is amazing. She is trying hard to change the culture surrounding medicine. She has helped implement family/patient activated rapid response in many hospitals as well as trying to create other things in empower the patient/family. If you ever have the chance to watch the video of her speaking at the IHI conference, DO IT. She spoke at Grand Rounds at Johns Hopkins after her daughters death and then she was invited to speak at the IHI conference. (Institute for Health Improvement) Someone video taped her speaking and that has become the film Jossie's Story which is showed at hospitals, med schools, and nursing school. It is a very moving video. I'm getting choked up just thinking about it. I have ordered the book and cant wait to read it. That will be one of the first things I do after summer school. I will let you know what I think when I get there.
Ok, I really need to study now. Have a great day.
No comments:
Post a Comment