Sunday, May 19, 2013

New PR!!!

Yesterday I ran a 5k.  It was along side Furnance Bay.  It was a very pretty, shady run.  It was organized, I use the term loosely, by Good Shepard Catholic School.  It was a small race maybe 50 or so runners.  There were quite a few kids.  They thanked me for participating.  THe start line was not clearly marked, we were all just kinda standing around for a while.  Father then lead us in a pre race prayer.  One of the organizers then came over and shouted us the directions, it was an out an Back all on one road so the directions were easy.  Being a solid middle of the packer I don't worry about directions too much.  There were about five or six yippee skippy runners that had run prior to the race and were jumping up and down before we started and the ran it several more times one they were finished.  For the first mile there was a woman running right next to me.  At that point the yippee skippy runs were headed back toward the finish.  We cheered them on.  The cheering broke the ice between the woman had been next to me for the past ten minutes.  We decided to run the race together.  I told her my goal was to run the whole thing., her goal was to finish.  We kept each other at a good pace.  It turns out that she teaches math where I go to school for nursing.  We exchanged information and may do some more running together in the future.  Her husband had finished and met up with us the finish with her, so I got to meet him as well.  They seem like a very nice couple.  She wanted to walk for a bit so I ran ahead and finished in 30:06!!!  I shaved 1:19 off my last time.  Not bad.  I think running with someone really helped.  There were not time chips, so I'm going off my Garmin, I figure it is more accurate the the race time.  I'm counting on a guy who grabbed the bottom part of my bib as I crossed to write down my time.  It was a nice morning.

I then got home and cleaned up.  The Wife and I then went on the Secret Garden Tour.  It s lovely seeing the different houses and gardens.  It  was a great way to spend time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment