Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My tri for one

Yesterday I went swimming.  It was a failure.  The water was rough, I was not having fun.  It sucked.  I swam three laps and stopped after each one.  It was a total of 0.24 miles.  I took me about 20 minutes.  I left feeling very discouraged.  I left thinking that I can make it through the mini tri on the 13th but there is no way that I can make it through 6 laps for the Aug. race.  I stopped by my mom's on the way to class.  She made me a yummy bacon breakfast while I looked up swim lessons.  The Y near me does have adult swim lessons.

Today, I went back for round two.  I told myself that I was going to do two laps without stopping if the water was calm.  I got there and it was calm.  I jumped in and the frantic turtle* was off.  I tried to stay calm and just go.  I swam three laps without stopping. When I go for a bike ride I go for over an hour, when I run I run longer than 30 minutes.  Maybe I just need to go.  It will take me longer than 20.   I told myself that I have to have faith that I can do this.  My body will go.  I got out and was sitting on the dock I thought that I needed to keep going.  I would get back in and do 3 or 4 more laps, which is the Aug distance and if I needed to stop I would stop.  I got back in and did four more laps without stopping.  The Aug distance is .46 miles (750meters).   I went 0.56 (901meters).  The frantic turtle may not be pretty or fast but just might get the job done.  I showered off because the water was REALLY muddy after all this rain.

On my way home I was thinking that my tri shorts came in the mail yesterday and I haven't been on my bike in a while...  I got home changed and headed out.  I started out and it didn't feel good.  I was struggling. I started to question if I should have tried to bike after drastically increasing my swimming.  I just said," Katie your body will do it.  These first few miles might not feel good, but your body will do it".  It was kind of a revelation.  Not every mile will feel good but my body will do it.  I figured if it still felt bad after the first two miles I could turn around.  I rode 18.1 miles.  The Aug distance is 17.7.  I got home and ate breakfast and was itchin' to go for a run.

I changed again and went to the gym at school, it was raining again, and ran 4.1 miles.  The Aug distance is 3.1.   I completed my first tri today.

Tonight we are going to a Fourth of July party.  Much of my brother's family will be there.  I'm looking forward to it.  I plan to eat oysters and go to bed early.

*My dad joined me for a swim one day and later told my mom that I looked like a frantic baby turtle learning to swim.    Real encouraging.  He also told her that he wasn't sure if I could make it.  Well, now i think I just might!

1 comment: