Yesterday, I woke up and shortly started having the runs and puking. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get out of bed to greet my visiting family, let alone compete today. I woke up and went to packet pick-up and the newbie meeting. The energy in the air was incredible. It made me want to do it so badly. After a nap, my family started arriving. It was various degrees of cousins. Last night there was a lot of bike talk and switching pedals. Plus, for three of us it was our second tri and our first with some really distance. We also did a lot gear getting together for the youngest in the group who doesn't have gear and didn't train. He is a college athlete and just went for it.
This morning we woke up at O'Dark Thirty, assembled the troops, and were at the transition area by 5:30am. I brought a bucket to carry my stuff and to sit on during the
transitions. I had decided that I was going to take my time and be
relaxed through the whole event, especially since I was so sick
yesterday. It was quite cold this morning. My toes were numb. The water temp was really nice so no wetsuits allowed. As soon as I got in I started wiggling my toes to warm them up. The men had an in-water start at 7:30 and we joined them on the course at 7:35. The water was calm with little/ to no current. My swim time was 26:12 for 750 meters.
The bike was really hilly. It started off rough but then got really fun. At first I was paranoid because there weren't other bikers near me. I thought I had gone off course. Once we turned into the back roads and I knew that I was on the right course, I started to have some fun. The downhill parts were great and the ups weren't too bad. I was able to drink from my water bottle for the first time on the bike. I did it three times. I also got out of the saddle for some of the hills. My bike time was 1:18:36 for 17.7mile ride.
When I got off my bike I couldn't feel my feet at all. I got off and started running and almost fell over, so I walked the rest of the way into the transition area. The run out was spotty, I did a lot of walking but I ran most of the way back in. My run time was 31:58 for a 5k.
My overall time was 2:21:41. The three men in my family all placed in their age groups and the woman finished with smiles. It was a great day. We had six other family members in support and then had a great cook out afterwards.
After a few burgers and beers I'm getting ready to drink a cup of tea and relax into the evening.

CONGRATULATIONS, KATIE!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete